Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Bar smoking ban protest.

http://anti-strib.blogspot.com/2008/02/time-to-join-actors-union.html#links
Not so fast! While there may ultimately be a way to close this legal loophole the fine art of "political theater" has long been used by the left even though the cause has little chance of being enacted. As an example look at the Code Pink wannabes who protest every Wednesday on the Minneapolis Lake Street Bridge. The left overuses political theater so it's relatively meaningless for their causes but a lot of people are really angry about the bar smoking ban. I am among them though I haven't smoked in 35 years.
Politically, this matters because in this and most close elections it's the "undecided" voters that really matter. A large percentage of people are really mad at the bar smoking ban. Governor Palenty has given a sliver of hope with his rejection of an increase in the "health assessment fee/tax" increase on cigarettes. Senate candidate Mike Ceresi made his fortune primarily on the MN tobacco litigation. Ceresi's law firm insisted on getting all their settlement money "front end". The MN settlement also provided PUBLIC MONEY FOR POLITICAL ADVOCACY that led to the MN smoking ban. As they say in theater, "All's fair in love and war (and politics). There are a lot of PO'd smoking barflies out there. These are called "undecided voters".
Anyway, two hours ago I got diverted into the smoking ban protest. I checked and to my surprise "FreedomToAct.com" was available so I chipped $7 into the cause and registered it. It might take a day for it come up so if http://freedomtoact.com doesn't work try http://artmn.com It's worth checking out and worth promoting.
Right now I'm supposed to be working on a website to help provide school supplies for one children in one of the most dangerous places in the world. (Note I am here in a "good" Minneapolis community, not in that hellhole. Actually, my friend and writing associate did some early volunteer work there, helped setup some self-help programs that have done well in the last 35 or 40 years. My friend who is now "rich, influential and famous" wants me to set up websites on the operations. And set up a website for my friend linking them all. I explained how to do this to my friend and promised we would tackle it after I retired. That is now. I first have to relearn Front Page Web design
Anyway, I made the mistake of taking a break and checking anti-strib. This subject came up. Two hours later here is the framework for an extended anti-smoking ban protest, just in time for the election.
Check out http://freedomtoact.com same as http://artmn.com

No comments: